Monday, 13 April 2015

A weekend of Firsts...

Long time no see friends...

I hope you have all been well!  I am taking as read that you have been writing to ABC to ask them to Renew Forever... If not, check out previous  posts for reasons why!!

I come to you today to speak to a few Firsts I have encountered this last couple of days.

The first being the release of the debut EP for a group of London Lads who knowing of my propensity to live on Social media, let me take the initiative and do a bit of promo for them.



Look out for  #The Rayys on Streaming sites Spotify and Deezer.





I am by no means an expert in the field of Music and the seven songs available here are not ones I
would have normally been looking for on my play -list but there is much to be said for this collection of seven songs. Two original tracks nestle in the Status Quo, Kings of Leon and The Hives covers.

The Quo covers are faithfully rendered with an obvious affection for the source material with a youthful zeal of young men who have absorbed the modern sounds of bands like the Arctic  Monkeys and the also present Kings of Leon.

The Hives song is joyfully raucous and one listener has already pegged it as a favourite.

The two original songs take the sound in two divergent  directions and are indicative of the two
writing credits in play.

Seven to Go - a rip roaring loud and proud rock number that takes you foot tapping on a journey and would be great Road Tripping Music in fact.

Where you Are - is a a more laid back song with a slightly less frenetic feel to it and provides a nice counterpoint to the heavier stuff and  the inclusion of both on this release , hints at some great stuff to come when the next batch of all self penned music is released.

Until then enjoy here:



http://open.spotify.com/album/0A7OSzcSp5uY2WUxhOBehG



And now onto my late introduction to the historical time traveller romantic fantasy...








Outlander

I was prepared for two equally possible eventualities with this one, it would be so silly that I would not be able to get through an episode or I would be instantly obsessed . Neither happened with this
pilot.

Instead I enjoyed this as a well made,  almost filmic story of postwar nurse and History Professor seeking to find out who their spouses have become after the rigours of  war had shaped and polished
them ;on a highland holiday to seek out the threads of a family history in the area .


The story before Claire is unceremoniously dumped in Jacobite Scotland to be almost raped by her
gentle husband's rather foul ancestor is so deftly managed. It is not trite  and hackneyed and it was nice to see a married couple where both members have equal standing and interests so the eventual separation seemed more true. Her reaction to her husband's doppelgänger is inspired.


The shorter section in the past was enjoyable too although I did find the fact that her attire fitted in in both eras without too many a raised eyebrow. Graham McTavish steals every scene he is in despite the buzz about Sam Heughan in every magazine and social media platform, but it is the performances
of  Catriona Balfe and Tobias Mckenzie that I found most interesting and Claire is a brave and feisty
heroine that I warmed to pretty much straight away.



Daredevil

I have been been bombarded by positive reviews about this so  last night I decided to finally watch this much lauded show and make up my own mind !

This was a Revelation ... The Marvel Franchise cleverly keeps the Avengers lurking in our consciousness by making the big bad secret conglomerate making dirty money from the destruction wrought in New York by the attack in The Avengers Assemble ..

Every character type is represented, troubled hero, plucky  damsel in distress , chirpy one-liner spouting Sidekick . Then there are the ominous martial arts henchmen , stooges, Murky Fixer and
quite literally evil Kingpin... Although I have yet to meet him at writing.

The difference here is  the characters are inhabited so well by the actors,  that  they are immediately authentic. The atmosphere of Hell's Kitchen, where it seems to rain consistently is well represented and the back story flashbacks do not detract from the modern combat scenes and I thoroughly enjoyed the legal scenes as Foggy and Matt start their fledgling practice.

Charlie Cox has not created a superhero, but an extraordinary human, and I think this is what elevates this above other comic book fayre on our screens today. I preferred Daredevil to Arrow and Flash on first viewing..

Promising does not begin to sum up the potential and I look forward to devouring the rest very soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment