Wednesday, 15 July 2015

Chance encounter, reaps literary dividend!

This was one of those happy coincidences that I have found always bring those little reading gems into your sphere, A chance comment on my Twitter feed about my blog, a friendly nose at the précis of the book that my "new friend" had penned and my interest was piqued. So I sought out...

Married to the Wind - Wisewoman's Daughter (Books Of Light) by Samantha Holloway.


This is  a book that was enjoyable from the start, a dystopia and a epic fantasy at once and it brought to mind, ghosts of those books I enjoyed the most during the period of my youth when I read only fantasy.

Not one to give away plot,  as I really want folk to discover a book on their own terms with no preconceptions; I can say that I like our heroine Annissa, not too weak at the start that the inevitable struggles and discoveries she incurs in the course of the story so far seem false, but also with enough personality and gumption that you start  right away to commiserate with her about the quieter passionless existence she is willing to undertake - almost from the start.

The "love interest" that she is not quite so interested in as she should be, is not one dimensional and unlikable, he is just a bad fit through convention and societal Mores.  He is loyal and sweet but I feel that he too feels no real emotional thrust, towards her either, that his adventuring is actually an outlet for his malaise and boredom as much as to win Annissa's approval so when the hairless boy with no real memory, a affinity with the wind  and an astonishing growth spurt literally falls at her feet it begins not only an intriguing and engaging plot, but catalyses feelings in Anissa that had never been activated in  her everyday life.

The world the characters inhabits is like us enough for us to relate to the characters straight away, but strange enough for the reader to seek more and inhabit through escape into the creative mind. I really like the way that the colours of the world  are described with such vividness and it is the lovely descriptions  of the strange and the mundane that really anchored my mind in this tale.

This strong start to (what I hope is at least a trilogy) was a treat to read. There is a whiff of Attwood in the presentation of the story, I liked the mythology that is used to punctuate the end of  each chapter and liked the way it was a commentary on what had come before.  It is a really nice touch that gives the world that Ms Holloway has created, a lovely depth  to the backstory into which our heroine is dropped. I really ,really enjoyed this first book and will be lining up the next in the next couple of days.

Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment