Monday, 4 July 2016

Book Review: Filmic Cuts, Sunshine and Lollipops Vol.1 by Oli Jacobs


I am fond of short stories.

When I was given the opportunity to  review this collection of tasty morsels,  by writer Oli Jacobs; I jumped at the chance. I have to say my reaction is overall very positive.  

Without giving away plots, the themes are varied enough to offer a story to whet any appetite.The ideas here are clever, macabre, at once familiar and fresh,  and often very funny but to my mind they seem  just a little bit unformed, as though the foundation is  solidly there but the walls of the tale are not quite solidly in place.  

The best way I can describe it is that with each story you feel like you have come in to a room where the conversation has already started.  You wanna know what has come before so you can join the conversation intelligently. I know that short stories need to be pithy and get to the point, but here I feel we needed just a tad more lead -in to the tale. 

This is just a personal stylistic quibble and should not detract from the actual inventiveness of the stories, which is very high. It is never a criticism to want more from an author, it is in fact a compliment! I like the explanatory notes and the cover is rather gloriously macabre.

I would definitely read more from this author.




No comments:

Post a Comment