Wednesday, 17 August 2016

Book Review: The Trespasser by Tana French


The Trespasser by Tana French

Genre: Police Procedural / Murder Mystery

Thanks to the good folks at Netgalley and the  publishers Hodder and Stoughton, I was privileged to meet a great acerbic female lead in the shape of Antoinette Conway, whilst the butt of some quite obvious sexual harassment,and bullying she holds her own and solves the crime with the help of her partner Stephen.

She is not a formulaic character, not the stock “dark tortured soul”that  crime drama authors tend to think  all readers want to see, she is sarcastic, funny but vulnerable and just as susceptible to human frailty.

The mystery itself was twisty enough to hold attention until the end but it was the interplay between the officers of the squad that I found infinitely compelling with plenty of misogyny and "banter" that masks  a much more sinister underbelly within the incident and interview rooms.  

The revelation of the culprit is not too heavily signposted, and if forced to be critical, I have only one quibble and  that is the ending seemed just a little rushed and a little unsatisfactory for our heroes somehow,despite getting "Their Man".

I still highly recommend The Trespasser.

Tana French at her very best!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a book I would like to read,you don't find too many female lead detectives in many mysteries. That's why I love to find them and gobble them up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a book I would like to read,you don't find too many female lead detectives in many mysteries. That's why I love to find them and gobble them up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good review -- I like it that Antoinette isn't the tortured soul, your review tempts me. I have a huge list of books to read!

    ReplyDelete