Friday, 17 March 2017

Book Review: Miss Seeton's Finest Hour by Hamilton Crane



Miss Seeton’s Finest Hour. By Hamilton Crane.

Oh my Goodness, I am now a huge Emily Seeton fan.

Having been totally unaware of this series before this last few days , it is fortuitous then that this prequel of sorts was my first adventure in her company.

 Fans of older detectives such as William Murdoch, Father Brown and of course  the canon of “Agatha”  herself will be able to bury themselves in this story of the young  art teacher engaged by the government to winkle out a Nazi collaborator. It is my understanding that all future outings are the adventures of a much more aged protagonist, but this was a delightful introduction.

She is clever, resourceful and observant, she is sweet without being saccharin and she is interesting and a self contained character in her own right rather than just  an observer before whom the action is played out.

The attention to period detail makes this an incredibly immersive read. I liked the way the story often grounded itself in the speeches of Winston Churchill and the title then becomes more resonant.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book and will definitely be making Miss Seeton a constant reading companion.









1 comment:

  1. I'm adding to my "to be read" list -- these are right up my alley!! Thank you, Emma!

    ReplyDelete